Life is full of choices, good, bad, and the ones you can’t control. Raegan is perfect in every way, but what happens when life occurs? By day, Raegan is a typical high school student, but at three o’clock, her real work begins.
Varsity cheerleader, honor student, and proud granddaughter of the Lowery Farm, what happens when appearances are not what they seem?
Will Raegan be able to hold on to her life or will she be left with nothing? All of these thoughts change with one night, one song, one story, and one boy.
***I received this book in exchange for an honest review
- Casey Peeler clearly poured her heart and soul into the relationship between grandaddy and his sunshine, Raegan. The Amazing Grace scene. I just, OMG, totally lost it, bawling my eyes out, ugly crying hysterics. Holy smokes, the heartache was brutal. Anyone who has lost someone who meant the world to them can identify with and relive these poignant and raw emotions, hopefully with as much strength and grace as Raegan.
- This was my first Southern romance. As a girl who loves her country music and attempts (poorly) to line dance whenever she can, the song references were perfect and had me reaching for my iPod. It’s as if the story has a built in soundtrack. The bonfire-Where its At scene was adorable. It’s the kind of scene you read and you stop everything, a cheesy grin takes over as you melt in your seat into a pool of happy. So cute. When Raegan and Em sing to each other I just about died. If you weren’t in love with Emmett before, that’s the moment. As someone who is NOT from the South, who has never been to a bonfire or sipped on some moonshine, this was a whole new world and experience for me and I enjoyed every second.
- Grandaddy is the epitome of what you expect a protective Southern grandfather to be like, complete with blunt words, in your face threats, and a shotgun by his side when Emmett picks Raegan up at the front door. He has so much personality and energy, all of his scenes are full of laughter and light. His lines are the BEST. Grandaddy’s love for Raegan is infinite and pure. He wants to protect her and cherishes her as the sunshine that brightens his day. It’s incredible, the closeness Casey Peeler captured in their interactions.
- Raegan is courageous and fierce. She has an image of the beautiful, all American sweetheart and does everything in her power to maintain that to the outside world even when she’s falling apart on the inside. Raegan has so much love to give and worships her grandaddy, he’s everything to her. Raegan has tons of responsibility but she never complains and she always does what she believes is right but she’s also got fire in her. If she gets mad, it’s a storm of anger and emotion lashing. She’s stubborn to a fault yet lighthearted and brings joy to those around her. Raegan has a vulnerable side that is magnetic. As much as she tries to hide her sorrow, when it comes out it’s like a lash to the heart.
- Emmett is Raegan’s soul mate. I’ve read hundreds of books this year and this is the first one where I actually felt in my bones that characters were meant to be. It wasn’t a slow burn but destiny.
- While Emmett is definitely a Southern gentleman, throughout the story, he’s referenced as a catch. Everyone knows it, everyone loves him but there’s no real explanation why other than the fact that he used to play football. The finer details of his character were absent.
- Cole also is a bit of a mystery character. We never get any true insight into what he does for fun, it’s merely suggested.
Casey Peeler grew up and still lives in North Carolina with her husband and daughter. Her first passion is teaching students with special needs. Over the years, she found her way to relax was in a good book.
After reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neal Hurston her senior year of high school and multiple Nicholas Sparks’ novels, she found a hidden love and appreciation for reading.
Casey is an avid reader, blogger (Hardcover Therapy,) and now author. No Turning Back (Full Circle #1) is her debut novel releasing September 30th. Finding Charley (Full Circle #2) will release spring 2014.
Her goal is to one day be an author who is recognized nationwide like Jamie McGuire, Colleen Hoover, Tiffany King, and Amanda Bennett.
When Casey isn’t reading, you can find her listening to country music, spending the day at the lake, being a wife and dance mom, and spending time with friends and family.
Her perfect day consists of water, sand between her toes, a cold beverage, and a great book!
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this: