At last, Alexa and King Damian are engaged to be married. But their lives are far from safe. The kingdom of Antion is under siege, and Rylan is a prisoner of the enemy. Even worse, Alexa remains at the mercy of the evil Dansiian Rafe, who controls her mind and can force Alexa to kill or harm Damian at any moment. Despite this, Alexa is determined to rescue Rylan, which soon leads her far from Damian and deep into enemy territory.
When she arrives, what awaits her is deadlier than anything she could have ever imagined: an army of black sorcerers, and a horrifying plot to destroy the world as Alexa knows it. Will she be able to gather the strength to free herself, protect the love of her life, and save the land? Will there ever be true peace?
Acclaimed author Sara B. Larson has woven a stunning, romantic, and evocative finale to the Defy trilogy, that is sure to leave readers breathless until the very last page.
***I received this eARC as a gift in exchange for an honest review via Edelweiss & Scholastic Press
Sara B. Larson took a page from George R.R. Martin’s handbook in this one. Be afraid. But face that fear because you won’t want to miss this mind-blowing, action-packed conclusion. ❤
- Alexa. Endure is the ONLY thing that this final book could have been called. Alexa goes through the blackest, most dismal and heart wrenching time of her life. There’s more loss and pain than she’d ever imagined. Than you’d ever expect but it’s so fitting for the finale. Alexa is incredibly brave, so much so that it makes her reckless and she throws herself into even more dire situations than usual. There are countless times when you’ll face nail-biting fear that she won’t make it through her suffering, but there’s always, always hope.
- Action, violence, torture, gore, it’s more than an adrenaline rush topped by a rollercoaster ride, it’s a carnival of slaughter with all the crazy. The fight scenes are bold, detailed, brilliant, with just enough to keep you gripping the pages, hoping against all odds for a miracle.
- Dansii is EVIL. Like deepest level of Hell, sadistic, and insane evil. The villains are a true threat that are more than terrifying because they celebrate their horrific methods. Gruesome acts are ordered like offhand comments. You’ll be shocked, startled, and a lot sickened by their barbaric ways.
- Rylan and Alexa. ❤ So much has been left unsaid between them, about their love for each other. There are so many ways to love and Rylan and Alexa are the perfect example. All the closure and understanding, it’s here and it’s downright heartbreaking. Get ready for the tears.
- The handful of times Damian and Alexa are together will break your heart into a billion pieces-happy pieces. Your heart will BURST with joy. The love leaps off the pages. It’s warm and beautiful and the kind of love that anyone would die for.
- The pacing was so fast that the story rushed by and felt incomplete. There wasn’t near enough time to deal with all the George R.R. Martin-style carnage or to process the whirlwind of emotions.
- Damian is hardly in the picture. Sure, he’s in Alexa’s thoughts constantly and there are two sections from his POV but the romance is bittersweet and so short when it does happen. I missed their moments. That sweet playfulness they have, where you just know they fully understand each other through and through-soul mates. ❤ So much focus was placed on the various rescue missions and escapes that their love was a little lost in the chaos.
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this:
Keep reading and happy New Year!