Release Date: January 5, 2016
Gia Kearns would rather fight with boys than kiss them. That is, until Arik, a leather clad hottie in the Boston Athenaeum, suddenly disappears. While examining the book of world libraries he abandoned, Gia unwittingly speaks the key that sucks her and her friends into a photograph and transports them into a Paris library, where Arik and his Sentinels—magical knights charged with protecting humans from the creatures traveling across the gateway books—rescue them from a demonic hound.
Jumping into some of the world’s most beautiful libraries would be a dream come true for Gia, if she weren’t busy resisting her heart or dodging an exiled wizard seeking revenge on both the Mystik and human worlds. Add a French flirt obsessed with Arik and a fling with a young wizard, and Gia must choose between her heart and her head, between Arik’s world and her own, before both are destroyed.
***I received this eARC as a gift in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley & Entangled.
READ THIS BOOK IF:
- You’re a fan of The Pagemaster or The Neverending Story
- You’ve secretly dreamed of exploring all the world’s libraries and/or living in them
- You’re looking for a blend of magic, romance, and prophecy with a twist
- You like books 😉
Thief of Lies is a fast-paced and engrossing adventure that will suck you right in just like Gia and her friends in the story. Full of magical creatures, diverse characters, a sassy heroine, a complex plot, AND romance, Thief of Lies will hold you captive til the very end.
- Gia is a saucy, feisty little thing. I ADORE her. She’s courageous, take charge, and puts herself out there in the line of fire for her friends. She’s not shy about admitting she’s scared and that makes her all the more strong. She’s confused when it comes to her heart and it’s so easy to identify with her struggles to figure out what she wants. A true spitfire with mad fighting skills.
- Gia and Arik. Be still my teeny tiny heart. They’re romance is sweet and playful without being in your face. The moments they spend together when they’re not trying to stay away from each other are small but intimate, you feel how much they like each other with touches and smiles, kind words, and timid looks. Arik is a tempting little flirt. Be ready to swoon.
- The story concept is brilliant and there’s a solid follow through. So many times a story will start amazing and fizzle out by the end, I’m crazy happy to say that this book just keeps on giving.
- Secondary characters are memorable and each have their quirks. There’s a ton of diversity.
- The combination of action, mystery, intrigue, and romance will have you flipping the pages excitedly, you won’t be able to put it down.
- Twists. Twists on twists. There’s so many layers of plotting and secrets that each new reveal is like a perfectly wrapped present.
- Fight scenes are EPIC. Swords, blood, magical orbs and vicious creatures all come together to make explosive scenes that will have you on the edge. You never know what’s going to happen. Several times, I’m pretty sure my heart stopped. ANXIETY & ANTICIPATION.
- The villains were predictable and a bit cliché. You’ll see it coming.
- Some of the plot lines were distracting and didn’t add to the story.
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this: