Zoey’s life has taken a dramatic turn. Only a few months ago she was a Collector working for the a secret part of the government called the Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG), tracking and collecting fae. Her life had been changing and improving with a partner she loved and a sister she adored.
Now all that is gone—Daniel murdered by a fae, and Lexi killed when the Seattle area is devastated by a powerful, magical electrical storm. Zoey herself is altered by her association with the Wanderer, Ryker, in life-changing way.
Zoey discovered she was an experiment from the very company she worked for. She could die at any moment of a threatening defect—taking Ryker’s magic with her.
In a race against time, Ryker and Zoey set out to find a way to transfer his powers back before it’s too late. Their journey takes them to the rainforests of South America, dealing with those who are after something Ryker possesses and who will stop at nothing to obtain it for themselves.
What Zoey and Ryker discover can destroy them or tear them a part for good.
***I received this book as a gift in exchange for an honest review via Mark My Words PR.
When I read City in Embers, I was wowed. I LOVED that book but this one is even better. Sometimes the sequel falls flat, no worries, just as fresh and action-packed as the first book with an added layer of carnal lust.
- An adrenaline rush from the first page to the last, The Barrier Between will consistently keep your heart racing. From the thrill of the Fight Club-esque arena to the fae infested wild of South America, every page is a new adventure.
- Sprig is hilarious. His antics are adorable. A spritely, spirited little fae monkey with an obsession with honey and all things sugar. His comments are spot on and sarcastic, bringing tons of light and laughter to a terrible situation. From his love of reality tv to his narcolepsy, every scene is filled with joy. Plus, his curses are the cutest.
- The beloved Viking. I didn’t think it was possible for him to get any hotter but I was WAY wrong. Ryker is sex and sin, lust and angst, desire and animalistic intentions all rolled in one very sexy package. Gruff, angry, and with a tendency towards violence, Ryker is a terrifying adversary, his whole image is menacing between his huge physique and BA ax, there’s nothing this man can’t slaughter. What’s more, when Ryder is vulnerable it’s deliciously sinful. His compassion, his battle scars, his dark past all make him a complex, deep, and devoted man. Some scenes he’s sweet and kind and others, holy hotness, get ready to fan yourself.
- Zoey is changed. She’s not the hardened criminal she once was, there’s a softness to her that’s very appealing especially accompanied by her rage induced tenacity in battle. Fiesty, fierce, and a killer fighter with her fists, Zoey’s alter ego, the Avenging Angel has come a long way. Above everything, Zoey is a survivor. She’ll fight until the last making her incredibly brave but what is even more admirable is her decision to open her heart to love again. Dreamy sigh.
- OMG the chemistry. The sexual tension and frustration is almost overwhelming it’s so strong. Every encounter is a heady mix of fury and attraction, they want to punch each other as often as they want to rip their clothes off.
- New characters were a pleasant surprise. Heading back to the fight ring to meet AB, tossing in a greater look at the illusive Amara, and introducing Cryogen-that man, think Jack Sparrow.
- Some dramatic scenes were almost too easily resolved. Just when things were starting to get dire, some twist of fate pulled them of the danger zone. I.E. the Avenging Angel fight.
Haven’t started reading The Collector’s Series yet? Get City In Embers for 99¢ for a limited time!
Zoey Daniels has been tossed from foster home to foster home, where she grows up fast and tough. When she is placed in her “last-chance” home, she finds a reason to stay and turn her life around: her foster sister, Lexie, who is paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. Zoey will do anything to keep her safe.
After high school, Zoey is hired by a special government agency, the Department of Molecular Genetics (DMG), where she meets the other reason to remain: Daniel, her co-worker. The man she loves.
But there is something unique about Zoey. She can see fae. Because of this, the DMG hires her to work as a Collector: catching, researching, testing, and using the fae to save human lives. The work never registers on her sympathy radar. She was raised to think of fae as beasts that feed on humans and want to destroy them.
When devastation hits Seattle, Zoey’s whole world is turned upside down. The electric storm connects her to a ruthless fae, a Wanderer named Ryker, whose dealings expose them to even more trouble and danger. They embark on a journey, running and hiding from both the government and fae, both of which threaten their lives and those they love.
For my review of City in Embers –>Review
Enter for your chance to win an Ebook copy of City in Embers and The Barrier Between
She grew up in Northern California, where she ran around on her family’s farm, raising animals, riding horses, playing flashlight tag, and turning hay bales into cool forts. She volunteers helping animals and is eco-friendly. She feels all animals, people, and environment should be treated kindly.
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this: