Pieces of Revenge by Valia Lind
Book #1 in the Titanium Series
A weapon. A broken life. A humanity lost.
That is all Anastasia knows, that is all that she is. As an eleven-year-old, she witnessed her family’s brutal murder and she’s been on the run ever since. She’s spent her life training and planning for the day when she can take her revenge.
Kallos Enterprises is a well respected corporation, set on improving the genetic structure of an individual. Or so they say. Anastasia knows, first hand, what kind of monsters lurk behind the pretty walls of those skyscrapers. Armed with combat skills and a beyond perfect memory, she heads to Chicago to uncover the answers to questions that plagued her for years.
After arriving in the city, she meets Logan, a boy from her past who changes all the rules. She doesn’t remember him, but he remembers her. His position at Kallos Enterprises is useful, his presence is unnerving, and he makes her question everything she knows about herself to be true. If her perfect memory can’t remember Logan, what else about her past is wrong?
Time is running out. Anastasia has nowhere to turn, but to trust the one person who’s a memory she should have, but doesn’t. With a madman threatening their every step, Anastasia and Logan must uncover the truths behind Kallos experiments and hope that the answers they find won’t destroy the world forever.
Scarred by Vengeance
Book #2 in the Titanium Series
This is the mission: Save. Protect. Destroy.
Everything in Anastasia’s world came crashing down when the one person she decided to trust failed her. On the run, now more than ever, she’s trying to piece together the life she doesn’t remember. With Blake still missing, she sends the rest of the family away, hoping to keep them out of danger. But being alone is a lot harder than it used to be and she blames herself for allowing Logan into her heart. He’s gone now and she must let him go. Even though her perfect memory continues to play out the time they’ve spent together, much like a broken record.
But Anastasia has no time to dwell on the mistakes of yesterday; her mission isn’t over. Kallos Enterprises continue their experiments, as the death rate goes up, and Anastasia has no choice but to fight. However, she’s not as cold blooded as she used to be and that proves to be a problem when the people she cares about are once again put in danger. With her strength—and memory—failing and Blake’s time running out, Anastasia must tap into parts of herself she never knew existed, hoping that in the end, it will be enough to save them all.
***I received this book as a gift in exchange for an honest review.
Scarred by Vengeance is an emotional rollercoaster with pit stops at crazy suspense. An adrenaline rush complete with action, violence, and just the right amount of mystery, Scarred by Vengeance will keep you guessing.
- Tasia is a mess. Her emotions are up and down, her determination wavers, and her heart is wide-open despite her best efforts to close herself off. This Tasia is way different than the vengeance oriented girl in Pieces of Revenge. Tasia has suffered and been wounded in some ways that leave her feeling broken and lost. As Tasia fights to find her determination, she must sort through feelings that she’d rather leave buried. Tasia is real and hurting, her emotions are at the forefront of the story and as the plot progresses, Tasia must embrace these feelings in order to survive. It was a revelation seeing Tasia in this light. Behind the hard edges and tendency towards violence, she’s a girl who yearns to shelter her loved ones and offer her heart up to a boy who she’s terrified might break her.
- Logan and Tasia are sweet, scorching chemistry. Their reunion is inevitable and culminates in such build up that isn’t as explosion of pent up angst and longing. Logan understands Tasia better than she does herself. He pushes and pulls, giving her strength and nudging her in the right direction. But what makes Logan so compelling is the power he gives her. Even when Tasia is reckless and making horrendous decisions, Logan warns but doesn’t prevent her from making them. Logan knows that to Tasia, freedom over her actions is paramount.
- The final scene is chaotic, full of shock and dangers that come out of nowhere. Nothing is safe and you’ll be taken for a whirlwind of surprise.
- The shift to Logan’s perspective is heart wrenching and powerful, his emotions are on the surface, potent and blazing, prepare to be gutted with his raw honesty.
- Reiteration of events that took place in book 1 would have helped form an emotional connection with characters and put the reader in the right frame of mind. I found myself stumbling through the first few chapters trying to remember what happened because I’d read Pieces of Revenge a while ago. There are allusions to some events but it’s unclear until later in the story.
- The mission and overall plot was loose. Tasia rushes into danger head first and doesn’t think things through. There’s not much going on and for the most part, all of the drama and action takes place much later in the story. The first half passed in a blur of uncertainty and stasis.
Author. Photographer. Artist. Born and raised in St. Petersburg, Russia, Valia Lind always had a love for the written word. She wrote her first full book on the bathroom floor of her dormitory, while procrastinating to study for her college classes. Upon graduation, she has moved her writing to more respectable places, and have found her voice in Young Adult fiction. Falling by Design is her debut young adult novel. You can visit her online at http://www.valialind.blogspot.com or follow her on twitter, where she spends way too much time, @ValiaLind.