Book: Without Consequence
Author: Victoria L. James and LJ Stock
Genre: Contemporary M/C Romance
There are two kinds of prison sentence that try to break us: the ones served behind iron bars and the ones served through a lifetime of guilt. Some people are handed just one. The unfortunate are given both.
Drew Tucker, despite his formidable reputation, was a man shrouded in darkness who had been dealt every kind of sentence known to man. His only path of survival was to fight and conquer. After five years of solitude, with nothing to keep him company but old ghosts and relentless demons, Drew was finally out, and he had a plan in mind to reign supreme once more.
But everything had changed since he’d left the small town of Babylon, Texas, and where he once fit into the world around him, he now felt misguided, misplaced and misunderstood. Freedom wasn’t free anymore and it sure as hell didn’t come cheap.
That only got worse when he crossed paths with Ayda Hanagan. Legal guardian of her teenage brother, over worked, underpaid and clinging onto sanity by the skin of her teeth, Ayda should have been easier for Drew to beat down and manipulate. She should have been easier to keep quiet. But, as with everything in his life since he got released, nothing seemed to make any damn sense, and the walls were caving in on Drew now more than ever before.
Determined to stay on the road he was born to travel, he was willing to fight whoever got in his way or blocked his path to the top. Even the blue-eyed blonde who seemed to have more mouth than sense. His actions were about to shake up the whole town again, and Drew didn’t care whether that came with or without consequences, or what the hell that meant for the likes of Ayda Hanagan.
***I received this book as a gift in exchange for an honest review and in participation with this tour
Confession time: *Ducks my head bashfully* So, I’ve never read a M/C book before. I know, I know, it’s crazy and moderately embarrassing. But when I found out some of my favorite people had written a book, a contemporary romance no less, well, I couldn’t resist and oh my gosh, I’m so glad I didn’t because Without Consequence is an adrenaline rush packed with spontaneity, snark, and all sorts of dangerous, sizzling hotness.
- Without Consequence is a gritty, no holds barred contemporary that’s made of brutal honesty and blunt confession. Ayda and Drew are both broken in their own ways but incredibly strong. They don’t back down or take being talked down to. They don’t pretend to be anything they’re not. They know they’re not perfect, they make mistakes, and yeah, sometimes they’re not great people but they’re real and there’s no amount of suffering that can really destroy them because they’re survivors.
- The M/C is like a cult of men just oozing power and sex. The authors captured the hierarchy, the fear, brotherly love and respect that is beneath all the leather and bravado. These guys will live and die for each other and when things get real messy, they break out their fists and guns and make sure everyone knows that they’re not going to take a challenge sitting down.
- The playful, perverse banter between the guys flows seamlessly. It’s colorful, hilarious, and you get a genuine sense of camaraderie and well-defined personality for each character. They’re gruff and dirty, and they take what they want in an aggressive, sexy way, predators who don’t claim to be anything else. At first, the world of the hut is pretty shocking. The sheer amount of sex, partying and violence is like a spectacle of sin but as the story progresses and each member shows his true colors, it’s impossible not to like, if not truly care about these guys.
- Drew’s demons are an all-consuming force that threaten to annihilate and torture him. His regrets are constantly on his mind. His internal dialogue is bleak and in your face. He’s hardest on himself and the way he almost hates himself for his mistakes evokes serious sympathy. Despite his cocky strides, devastating smirks, and volatile mood swings, underneath there’s compassion. He’s an enigma, a devil, and an ass most of the time. He doesn’t make up for it and while the confusion over who he wants to be is there, the rough edges are something he knows and accepts. He’s a lion, built on pride and courage, all muscle and deadly threat but he has enemies and weaknesses, mainly in the form of his mate 😉
- Ayda had to grow up much too fast. She lost everything when he parents died and never got the chance to be a normal 20-something year old girl. Her hopes were dashed her entire life is composed of work and struggle. Ayda is a sassy, sarcastic firecracker of a woman. She lights like a long fuse, slowly but surely mounting to an explosion of anger and claws. She mouths off before she thinks and gets herself into loads of trouble. Yet, you can’t help but be attracted to Ayda’s perseverance, despite her bone weariness she fights on and will do anything for her baby brother. Her heart is golden and it’s only a woman with such ire that can hope to tame the beast that is Drew Tucker.
- Together Drew and Ayda are a hot and heavy powder keg that pushes and pulls. They fight each other, throwing punches and wounding egos. They hurt and scar, cutting emotions to the quick but when they give into temptation…it’s with frantic touches, speed and possession. They claim and mark their territory. It’s animalistic and pretty freaking sexy.
- Drew Tucker is unlikable and downright evil at first. It’s hard to understand him and the way he takes without asking is sickening. The roughness, the way he puts his hands on people with rage, to leave marks was terrifying and frankly, made me a little angry and disgusted with him. I didn’t see how he could be a love interest worth rooting for. Wait for it. He definitely grows on you.
- It’s astounding how easy it is to cover things up and while the M/Cs know the truth, it’s a game of politics and measuring who’s the bigger man. It’s frustrating. Additionally, the catty female drama was a bit much at times. The scenes with Maisy were a little predictable.
L.J. Stock on Victoria L. James ~ What can I say about Victoria L. James? Loads actually, she’s an amazingly talented author and I had the absolute distinct pleasure of writing with her. I also call her a friend. When we first met, we bonded instantly over our love of music, Victoria tends to be as eclectic as I am with her tastes. She finds stories in lyrics and feels the moods in the melodies.
When we first started writing together, I’ll admit I was intimidated. Here is this woman with a huge passion for putting words onto paper and painting pictures so clearly that you are completely immersed in them. How was I going to keep up with that? I’m not sure I ever did, but over time we’ve built up a repertoire. We bounce off one another and bring our characters to the forefront and hope that the interactions are as real as they appear for us.
On a more personal note, Victoria is bright, smart, kind, intelligent, funny, caring and witty. She can see so much in the world around her and always has time for anyone. Victoria lives in sunny ole Yorkshire with her family and her cats – had to mention them – and can normally be found in the playground of her imagination, listening to the Foo Fighters.
Victoria L. James on L.J. Stock ~ There aren’t many people you bump into in life that you want to both work and spend your free time with. From meeting L.J. through the wonder that is the internet, we soon came to realise that we had a hell of a lot in common. Music was where our friendship truly began, but our writing partnership flourished not too far behind. I always felt like my writing was missing something, and it was only when I read L.J.’s work that I realised what exactly that was. It was missing her influence!
After spending over a year working together, day in, day out, not a moment goes by where I don’t thank the Twitter Gods for bringing this amazingly strong and talented woman into my life. She’s an inspiration, a positive force in every situation and one hell of a talented writer. To say I’m honoured that she wanted to create a new world with me is a gross understatement. I’m blown away. One day, I hope I get lucky enough to visit her in Texas, where she lives with her family and her zoo of animals, so we can write by her pool and take part in our other dream… The great Taylor Kitsch Road (stalking) Trip. Who needs a yacht in the Caribbean when we have that to look forward to, right?
Follow for all news & updates on Without Consequence and future books in the series: https://www.facebook.com/Babylonseries?fref=ts
Enter for your chance to win a $20 Amazon giftcard or an e-copy of Izzy Moffit’s Road to Wonderland (it’s amazing!)
Izzy Moffit’s Road to Wonderland by Victoria L. James