The best part of the mission is her attractive handler, Jeremy, and her new team. The worst part? The sociopath masquerading as the academy’s most popular guy.
But soon she realizes the car thieves are much more than they seem. Her simple spying mission becomes more dangerous than anyone imagined. If the organization discovers her true identity, they won’t hesitate to kill her, and if she fails, others will suffer the same fate.
Young Adults, teens and adults will love this exciting suspenseful adventure with a dash of romance. You won’t want to put it down.
+++I received this book as a gift in exchange for an honest review and in correlation with this tour.
***This can be read as a standalone.
Hotwire is a fast-paced sleuthing rush of adrenaline. It will leave you nail-biting, on the edge of your seat as the culprits are revealed and the stakes grow almost too high to fathom. If you’re looking for the next book that will keep you up all night, frantically flipping pages, hyped up and eager to uncover the clues, add this to your TBR now.
- The terror is REAL. It’s an oppressive force that acts like a black cloud over the book. Christy’s fear will leave you breathless and horrified, unsure of her fate or that a happy ending is even possible. The sheer evil jumps off the page as the violence and abuse escalates. The villains are not redeemable and as the plot goes on, you discover they’re far worse than they seem.
- The action is meticulously described, each move, punch, kick, is so precise it’s easy to imagine and understand the troubles Christy experiences in trying to escape.
- Jericho is a sick, sociopathic psycho. He will make your skin crawl. He’s lascivious, a powder keg of fury and brutality just waiting to be set off. He never feels safe. Every time Christy is alone with him is a lesson in perseverance and prayer that she’ll make it out alive. The way he devours Christy’s body with a look, the wrath behind his fists, everything about him is deadly and vile.
- Christy’s team of spies are playful and perfect together. Their interactions are natural and each has a quirky, unique personality that leaves you no doubt of their presence and importance. The fake dad scenes are hilarious and add a lightness to the story.
- Christy is BA. She’s a little reckless, stubborn, and gets herself into serious messes but her quick-thinking keeps her on her toes and gets her out of many sticky situations. Christy is courageous, bold, brilliant, and has a big heart. No matter how dangerous the mission, how her life might be at stake, she refuses to give up, and will put everything on the line to save the innocent. Christy has a snarky, sassy side that borders on flirty and she always has something funny to say. Her internal dialogue is a joy to read.
- The secondary characters are so flushed out they could walk off the page.
- Romance is a supplementary aspect of this story but when it happens it’s lovely. Made of heat and steamy kisses.
- Some of the foreshadowing was too blatant and lacked the surprise that was intended.
- The murders were abrupt and almost too fast to process. The emotional connection that had the potential to bring the readers to tears fell a bit flat as the rapid-fire scene to scene action commenced.
I heard Carson’s voice. “There you are. I was starting to wonder if you fell in.” I chuckled quietly as Viktor let go of my arm. Carson deserved a huge kiss. “Shouldn’t you be worrying about your own date?” Viktor snarled. “I couldn’t find her. I’ve been waiting for Amber to get back from the bathroom so I could see Wind kick her butt in the race for the can.”
I took a step toward him. “I think you might be in for the shock of your life.” I took advantage of being free of Viktor’s hold and walked quickly toward Carson.
Cindy M Hogan is the bestselling and award winning author of the Watched trilogy, a YA suspense series with a dash of romance. She has since branched off to write a mystery, Gravediggers, that won Best YA novel of 2013, a contemporary romance, Confessions of a 16-Year-Old Virgin Lips, and the first in a spy series, Adrenaline Rush, the 2nd of which, Hotwire, is due out in Oct. 2014.
She graduated with a BA in education and is inspired by the unpredictable teenagers she teaches. More than anything she loves the time she has with her own teenage daughters and wishes she could freeze them at this fun age. If she’s not reading or writing, you’ll find her snuggled up with the love of her life watching a great movie or planning their next party. Most of all, she loves to laugh.
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this book: