Title: The Accidental Kiss
Author: Nicole Simone
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publication Date: August 12, 2014
Cover Design: Mae I Designs
Event Organized by: Literati Author Services, Inc.
“I would die a thousand deaths if it meant I could love you for a single day, a single hour, a single breath. You are worth it. You will always be worth it and pushing me away isn’t going to burn out the love I feel toward you.”
But he was everything she didn’t know she needed.
Marked by tragedy, Sky Noel leaves Los Angeles with her mom to start anew in Castor, a small town in Louisiana. It was supposed to be Sky’s chance to have a normal life but she soon finds out normal isn’t written in her DNA.
When a mysterious boy named Daemon shakes up Sky’s fragile hold on reality, she is thrust into a world where zombies and voodoo not only exist in the pages of a novel. They are hidden in the darkest corners where danger lurks and death awaits. With a price on her head, Sky has to put her trust in the boy with the ocean blue eyes but is Daemon everything she was warned against and more?
Tricked into selling his soul, Daemon lives out his existence at the mercy of the voodoo priest. That is until one fateful night when his path is forever changed.
Desperate to atone for his sins, Daemon brings it upon himself to protect Sky at any cost. However, a secret hidden in his past could rip away the very person who makes him feel human again.
- Sky is feisty. She’s hotheaded, outspoken, and is not afraid to throw a cuss word around here and there. Her anger is pretty palpable but she’s a fighter, when she makes up her mind, she’ll work hard, sacrifice everything for the people she cares about and doesn’t let her fear get to her.
- Daemon is HOT, with a capital H. The way he crowds space, those delicious, devilishly handsome smirks are enough to make a girl melt, and as if that wasn’t bad enough, he has a way with words that makes having anything but a dirty mind impossible. Daemon is naughty in a flirty, magnetic way. Underneath this sarcastic, playful exterior is a determined, loyal, courageous man with an open heart. His feelings towards Sky are raw, all-consuming emotions that influence his every move.
- The overall premise of the story is fantastic, creative, and sparks as many questions as it answers. The world of Santeria is dark, edgy, and shrouded in mystery. Sky’s particular role as sacrificial lamb is written in a way that’s almost empowering. Sky refuses to let her destiny beat her and fights against the odds for her freedom to live life her own way.
- The dialogue is perfect. It’s fun, full of life and authenticity. The conversations (apart from the voodoo-related aspects) could be ones you’ve had with friends in high school.
- Sexual tension. The heat between Sky and Daemon just melts off the page in a flurry of spark, fire, and wonderful angst. Like another sexy YA Daemon, his cocky, bad boy attitude and warranted confidence are enough to keep your heart racing and a steady blush at his more forward comments.
- The final page. Talk about heart-racing, edge-of-your-seat shock and anticipation. It’s a twist you’ll never see coming and will leave you desperate for more.
- There were a few typos and tense issues.
- The pages flew by and while normally this is a great thing, it felt as though character development was lacking in some of the secondary characters. Because the time span of the book is a mere week or so, there wasn’t enough to really get to know the minor characters. They have fabulous personalities, you get little hints here and there that suggest what bold, feisty, and quirky characters they are but I would have liked to see more of them and much more interaction with Sky to get a firmer grasp on some components of her personality.
- The final reckoning was a bit of a let down. It felt rushed and while there was a substantial amount of suspense, it didn’t have the fear or danger that should have come with such a horrific, dire situation.
“Sure. I would love to know why I am sitting in shoebox instead of my English class.”
Daemon pinned me to the wall with his stare. Any other smart ass remarks I had died in my throat. He began to stalk the small square footage like a caged animal, muttering. As I was about to grow worried about the state of his mind, Daemon stopped and looked at me. His mouth opened, then shut. Shaking his head, he ran his fingers through his hair.
“I can’t believe I am about to do this,” he muttered. Finally, his chin tipped upwards. “Somebody wants to kill you Sky, and they won’t stop until you have been bled dry.”
Nicole Simone works in digital media by day and at night, pen’s character driven romance novels that will make your mama blush. She lives in Los Angeles, C.A with her fat bulldog named Humphrey.
$40 Amazon Gift Card and Book Inspired Keychain
If you like any of the following, you’ll enjoy this: