+I received Gravity for an honest review on the Mackable Book Babes Blog Tour.
“No, I’m not under any illusions. To me, life is like gravity. You have to let it keep you grounded, but you can never let it keep you down.”
“I want to give you lots and lots of windows-so you can see all the beauty you’ve been denied, JoEllen.”
I rarely cry during books. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times it’s happened ever and remember acutely which books and which moments did me in. On my Goodreads status updates I had a cry count for this book, seriously, 3 1/2 times. You may be asking yourself, how is 3 1/2 cries possible, well lovelies, that is when you’re so cried out you start to cry again and run out of tears. This book wrecked me in a beautifully tragic and moving way. You’ll laugh, you’ll certainly cry, you’ll feel anger, pity, and so many, many feels it’s pretty overwhelming. If you’re looking for a book that will wake your dormant emotions up, get your tissues ready, this is it.
+++To my blog followers, this is NA it does contain graphic sexual scenarios and does involve abuse. Some images may be too strong for some.
Plot: All JoEllen wants is to escape the life she was given. Her mother was 15 when she had her and hasn’t grown up since, she never really knew how to take care of a child. JoEllen struggled to make ends meet, working jobs, going to school, skipping grades, graduating early and getting certified in carpentry. JoEllen never wants to be in a position to end up like her mother. Living in the poorest trailer park in Oklahoma, JoEllen has watched over mother as if she were the child, as she fell into a pattern of destruction and depression. JoEllen’s mother is a working girl, bringing her johns back to the trailer and leaving JoEllen to wait outside until they’re finished. Despite everything, JoEllen loves her mother and is doing everything in her power to build a stable foundation for her before she goes off to start her own life. Going through everyday life as a robot, JoEllen has plans and she’s going to see them through, she doesn’t have time for distractions and is caught totally off guard when an attractive, older man shows interest. Holden Mayes knows she too young for him but something about her is compelling, magnetic, he can’t help but be drawn to this beautiful, fierce woman. Holden is persistent, for months on end he has pestered JoEllen for a date, so much so that he has become a close friend, a solid part of her everyday life. When tragedy strikes and JoEllen falls apart, Holden is there to pick up the pieces, to protect her, and most of all, love her even if she doesn’t ask for it, he can’t help himself. So begins JoEllen’s story, one that will test her strength, her will power, and her heart.
Additionally, here is the Goodreads synopsis:
JoEllen Astor grew up poor in one of the worst trailer parks in Oklahoma. A childhood spent taking care of her mother and working hard has made her world-weary already.
One night, she meets Holden Mayes, a man who thinks she’s far too young for a man like him but can’t help but want her. He makes a mistake that almost derails their relationship before it ever starts and is determined to make it right…no matter how long it takes.
Their accidental friendship is the only thing that keeps her together when tragedy strikes that shakes the very foundation of Jo’s world.
When a man is slow, steady, and determined in his pursuit…how long can you fight your feelings for him?
- JoEllen is the strongest female protagonist I’ve ever read. She’s determined, driven, and filled with such powerful hope that it’s inspiring. Her story is heartbreaking, raw, and fueled by poignantly painful moments that will break your heart into little pieces only to be glued back together again by JoEllen’s light. Although she’s been jaded and wounded in the past, she’s never been broken, JoEllen always fights for her future and her mother’s without judgement. Once of the most striking aspects of JoEllen’s character is her ability to be a cynic, to feel so much anger over her situation and yet, she’ll fight tooth and nail for her mother’s honor, she’s not afraid to throw a few punches or cause drama, she will always speak her mind and in unafraid of the consequences. JoEllen is incredibly brave but afraid to open her heart. The struggle within to combat Holden’s advances is infuriating at times but understandable.
- The feels guys. I’m telling you, this story is more than an emotional roller coaster, it’s an explosion of events that will claw at your heart and leave you feeling open and breathless, not to mention the tears.
- Holden is an amazing man. He has such a perfect, warm and compassionate heart. His love for JoEllen is so pure and his focus on caring for her will melt even the frostiest of hearts. Plus, this man knows how to talk dirty and be insanely romantic in the same instant.
- Passionate, steady, and really hot, the chemistry between JoEllen and Holden is unconventional. It’s not a force of nature or an exaggerated pull but a real, honest build up between a man and a woman whose friendship evolves into something so much more.
- There was the occasional typo or tense issue.
- Most of the secondary characters were left undiscovered, they’re underdeveloped and not really present in the plot. There are small snippets but not enough to fully grasp their personalities.